Mayo Clinic Reveals Results of A Ground Breaking New Ecig Experiment

hen it comes to medical research, there is no other hospital in the United States more respected than Mayo Clinic. When the doctors at Mayo release new information, the world listens because they know this hospital is trustworthy and on the cutting edge of medical research. Recently, the Mayo Clinic released results from their latest experiment in smoking cessation. After noting that smokers face far higher risks of complications following surgery, researchers decided to offer patients “electronic nicotine delivery devices” both before and after their surgeries. The goal was to see if the ecigs could help patients successfully reduce tobacco consumption or eliminate cigarette use altogether.

Smokers who were facing upcoming elective surgeries were provided with the “electronic nicotine delivery” devices and encouraged to use them anytime they got a craving for a cigarette. Researchers kept records of their tobacco consumption and behavioral changes while using the ecigs and followed up 30-days later to see if there had been any significant change.

At the time of follow up, the Mayo Clinic team found that 17 percent had already completely quit smoking. Another 51 percent said they intended to continue using the devices in the future. Most remarkably, cigarette consumption was drastically reduced after patients had access to ecigarettes. “Average cigarette consumption decreased from 15.6 per person to 7.6 over the study period,” the study concluded. Ultimately, researchers said that ecig “use is feasible and well-accepted in surgical patients.”

This is the first time we’ve seen a prestigious hospital praise ecigarettes for their potential to help smokers. Now that Mayo Clinic took the leap, it’s safe to say that other doctors might feel more confident to recommend ecigarettes to their patients, especially those facing surgery. The medical community is well aware that other nicotine replacement therapies just aren’t that effective, but all signs show that ecigs can work and actually make a remarkable difference in a relatively short period of time.

Do you think other doctors will be more accepting of ecigarettes since the Mayo Clinic had such good results? Could this change the public perception of ecigs in the United States?

1. Rosie says:

I’d like this article better if it gave information about the differences between propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin or any other oils used in vapes and ecigs. I have a vape that’s a 50/50 mixture, but know more and more people are switching to vegetable based oils. Would love more information on that.

2. Chris says:

Great news for us that vape and the simple fact that such a huge hospital has done a study on this and proved what they did and it helps us as a vaping community to fight the F.D.A even better. Because with this research it’s proof that VAPING IS A LOT MORE SAFER FOR ALL OF US SO VAPE ON. AND IF YOU GUYS NEED ANY VOLUNTEERS FOR ANYMORE STUDIES ON VAPING I WILL BE MORE THAN WILLING TO PARTICIPATE NO MATTER WHAT THE STUDY MAY BE WHETHER Y’ALL WANT TO SEND ME STUFF THAT I CAN DO HERE AT HOME WHICH I WILL SEND MY ADDRESS TO Y’ALL VIA EMAIL WHICH ONCE AGAIN MY EMAIL IS [email protected] JUST SEND ME A EMAIL AND I WILL RESPOND TO YOU WITH MY INFO OR IF Y’ALL NEED ME TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL THAT’S VAPE RELATED PLEASE!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST CONTACT ME AND I WILL SEND ALL INFO YOU NEED FROM ME THROUGH EMAIL THANKS AND VAPE ON.

3. Tammy Melton says:

I smoked for 23 yrs, a pack and a half of menthol cigarettes a day, started vaping and totally quit cigarettes 😉

4. larry says:

I quit smoking after 45yrs, vaping helped me do this

5. Peggy says:

Since we started vaping, I stopped smoking!! No smell, I can breathe, I injoy as much as a cigarette without the smell and dangers!!

6. Peggy says:

I smoked 2 packs a day for 40 plus years. I now vape and quit smoking cigarettes!!!!

7. Jeanne Straight says:

After 2 brain aneurysms and a stroke….I am lucky to be alive, I was a pack and a half smoker…my Neurointerventionist told me that if I continued to smoke I would probably DIE from the next aneurysm …..I switched to vaping, I feel better s, I don’t smell like cigarette smoke, My Doctors are incredibly happy….and I have passed the 5 year mark from the date of my aneurysms…THANK GOD for VAPING for me it was a life saver

8. Tersha S. says:

I smoked a pack a day for nearly 18 years. Quit a time or two. Tried prescription drugs, gum, inhalers all that. Vaping made me quit. I don’t even want to go back to smoking. I don’t even like the smell of it anymore.

9. Dustin says:

19 year smoker quit after 2 weeks of vaping taste better and now have been smoke free for 2 years we need to save this so the world can heal

10. Nikki says:

I’m a 35+ years exsmoker & have been using an electronic nicotine delivery system for 6 years now, no more inhalers to breath or high BP meds.
    Hopefully this study will show/prove the value of e-cigs now.

11. Josh says:

The problem here is that this study (nor any other study of this nature) neglects to mention the negative effects of e-cigs themselves. No one is denying that they are a way better alternative to cigarettes for nicotine consumption. But e-cigs should be used to quit cigarettes, not replace them. Vaporizing propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin produces significant amounts of formaldehyde, and consuming nicotine in any form can raise blood pressure and affect the circulatory system.

A great study would be to follow the process of weening a longtime/heavy smoker off of nicotine by having them step down juices from 24% to 12% to 6% to 3% to 0% and then nothing at all and seeing how long they can stay cigarette AND e-cigarette free without relapsing.

If you want to praise e-cigs as a smoking cessation tool, then thats fine. But this isn’t cessation, its alternative nicotine delivery, and the “health benefits” you’re claiming here could also be achieved with chew or dip tobacco. It’s like you’re praising a guy for drinking a 5oz glass of vodka instead of a 6 pack of beer and saying he quit drinking.

• Jimmy Hafrey says:

Josh – there are quite a few “experts” like the FDA, CDC, and others that have taken the stance that vaping is AS BAD AS SMOKING. This is what’s causing these studies. It’s even illegal to market it as a cessation device so pursuing those studies won’t happen. The first goal of keeping vaping around was to prove it’s a better alternative than smoking to these regulating and impact based agencies. We suspect a big driver of this narrative was those tax dollars being lost with switching from smoking to vaping.