Unanswered Questions Loom After Exploding Vape Leaves Man With Broken Neck

cordero caples 6

One minute 29-year-old Cordero Caples was vaping during a work break and the next, he was on the ground with severe injuries. Officials report that the vape exploded, leaving Cordero with a broken neck, missing teeth, and horrific burns. He was rushed to the hospital where doctors performed an emergency spinal surgery. Cordero’s sister said he was nearly paralyzed from injuries, but thanks to the doctor’s quick response, he is now in stable condition.

Before the surgery, Cordero was in complete pain. His sister said he was shocked that his vape had exploded. “If he knew that he was dealing with something that would explode on him, he definitely wouldn’t have put himself in that situation,” she said.

Prior to the accident, Cordero dreamed of becoming a fitness trainer, but now that might not be possible. “It’s devastating to see a healthy man with all his strength be put in a position where he can possibly be paralyzed from an e-cig,” his sister said.

This is certainly not the first vape explosion, but it’s definitely the most severe. The US Fire Administration said faulty batteries are the root cause of the explosions. “E-cigarette manufacturers should consider changing to a different style of electrical connection,” a study said. “The inclusion of protection circuits into the e-cigarette device would improve battery safety.”

Concerned vapers have asked what kind of ecig Cordero was using. The remnants were sent to the hospital where officials reported he was using a Kangertech model, made in China. But photos of the recovered mod have left some vapers asking questions. The mod itself appears to be completely intact and looks like a Steampunk clone. Strangely, there are no burn marks on the mod, which is not typical for an exploding battery. Other than missing glass, nothing else seems damaged and even the coil appears to remain in tact.

exploding mod pic

So far, we have more questions than answers in this case. Taylor Moore, manager of Soo Vape, theorized that Cordero was using an unregulated device. “The unregulated devices are the ones that could be viewed as the most potentially dangerous,” he explained. Still, Moore said these explosions are extremely rare and the best way to prevent them is to choose your vaping devices carefully. “Short circuit protection, low voltage protection, low resistance protection, and all that is to keep the user safe,” he said.

Do you worry about vape explosions? What’s your take on this accident?

Jimmy, lover, blogger, vaper and ex-smoker. I’ve been blogging about and supporting Vaping since 2009. They changed my life and I think history will show them as one of the most significant public health invention of the 21st century.

You may also like...

6 Responses

  1. dant3nero says:

    What i learn
    PLEASE USE REGULATED MOD
    THANK YOU

  2. Koitus Brown says:

    Such a shame. Speedy recovery for that young man. In Vape’n you have to know what your doing before you go mixing and matching pieces. Looks like he was using an unregulated mech mod with a kangar tank. Kanger tank coil can only handle a certain amount of wattage and its written on the coil itself. He was using an unregulated Mech mod to fire the tank which isn’t very smart to use because they fire incredible power. Always do your research 1st and ask questions. Accidents will happen but that one could have been prevented for sure had he known the time bomb he was carrying around in his hand.

  3. Thomas W says:

    That is why you should only buy from a trusted vendor. I know most e-cigarettes can be bought online but you need to do your research first before buying one. There are plenty of unregulated device since the use of e cigarettes and vaping is getting popular these days. This experience is very traumatic, hope he heals fast.

  4. Michael says:

    It’s simple. He used a tank on an unregulated tube mod. The 510 pin made a connection to the tank and boom. Gotta love those rda’s…

  5. Jennifer says:

    So sorry for him and his family. Prayers are being sent. Thats from the hensleys in Greeneville Tn. Get well soon.

  6. Beau.Pracilio says:

    This is what happen’s when Governments fail to do anything to start with and people with no idea abuse their rights on both sides of the debate suppliers & regulators…

    Quote~ ” Officials report that the vape exploded”, If that vape exploded and sent old-mate to the hospital with the suggested broken neck, missing teeth, and horrific burns, Vaping must Be Banned Right Now where ever he is, no ifs butts or doubts about it……until product regs and standards are defined and the public is aware of what brands cover them….

    On the other Side of this case…. I’ve never seen a vape after any WLL testing in such nice condition…. Which is an automatic Red flag in my opinion…It looks as if he was trying to vape a flammable liquid or experimenting without seeing the unit up close..

    But All indications would suggest he’s seeking a Compo claim and the Officials want him gone and exaggerated their claims…would you want someone working with you who’s just blown his lips off…

    I’d like to see the unit..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *